Tuesday 28 October 2008

"Not Enough Black Men In University"

David Lammy, the MP for Tottenham, announced today that there is a lack of black men in universities.

The proportion of university students who are Afro-Caribbean males, is under just one percent for the last three years.

They are also more likely to be found in local universities, rather than the more elite institutions, claims Lammy.

He goes on to say that he was the first black Briton to graduate from Harvard with a Masters law degree.

Lammy says, " In this country people like me are still the exception rather than the rule, and the same still true in the us, where a black man could be elected president in a few days.'

The MP for Tottenham insisted both the African and Afro-Caribbean communities had a terrifically strong culture of aspiration and self improvement, but warns that more needs to be done to tap into it.

I could not agree more, I come from a hard working family who had nothing but strive to achieve something.

However when I look around me I see young boys and girls doing nothing with themselves.

It seems that everybody wants to live a good life, but they all want it the easy way.

We have become a society that thinks that if something looks like too much hard work then, it's not for me.

We need to stop catering to lazy people and start pushing people to do for themselves.

No comments: