Sunday 5 October 2008

Human Disturbia

I am one of those people who get immense amusement from people watching, and what better opportunity to get a sneak peak at peoples lives, than during my weekend job at a supermarket.


Whilst walking around with a pained smile on my face, the only thing that gets me through the tough back breaking hours, are the interim moments of amusement, (mostly at the customers expense.)

I am always provided with a bit of a chuckle, watching customers spending money they don't really have, on things they don't really need.


As if they're in some silent competition with the person behind them, who is staring enviously at the amount their putting into their trolleys.

Or harassed parents running around behind their children while trying to appear calm and collected. Or others who stare in confusion at the jam display, deliberating on whether to get sugar free or half sugar marmalade.

It's always interesting the kind of conversations you have with people, who sometimes just want to have a break away from ordinary life, to talk about the frivolous things, like the football, (even though I'm not remotely interested in football.)

So after spending hours with thoughts ranging from bewilderment to slight annoyance, usually towards the end of my shift where I'm thinking 'maybe I'm not such a people person after all'.


I'm brought back to my normal state of mind by having our resident elderly customer having a genuinely interesting conversation with me. Leaving me with a thought that maybe the human race isn't going to pot after all.

No comments: